Luk

Luk
Our family.

Friday, March 30, 2012

A kitchen facelift

Giant ugly light fixture down.

Room draped off.

Old wood ceiling exposed.

Progress, looks awesome.

Ick.

A good start to the project.

Jia didn't seem too interested in the Easter decorating but she was completely enthralled with the plastic Easter eggs.  Then when Gramma came over last night I told her to show Gramma the Easter stuff and she was really, really excited to show off  'what Mommy did'.  I filled an Elmo Easter Basket with little plastic (not breakable) Easter goodies to play with and she packs it everywhere now!

Taking time to shop in the Antique Chinese furniture store.  Oh, I want soooo much of it.  Priorities.  I think I need about $14000 just to finish my wish list.

No goats on the roof, they're in a pen at the back of the compound.  Jia and I were talking and we were looking up at the roof and I was telling her there were supposed to be goats up there and she suggested they must be up in the trees.  So cute.

I have a true love hate relationship with our kitchen.  There are a lot of changes that I want done.  Eric does the cooking, I do the cleaning.  We both think we own the space.  I think it's possible we bought the house because I liked the kitchen.  It was so homey.  It smelled of apples.  It was my favorite shade of green and golden yellow.  It was light and big and white.  All good.  I soon resented the island in the way all the time and it's cheap and ugly.  The melamine is cheap but it's white and bright, in pretty good shape and easy to keep clean.  I don't care for flourecent lighting, but taking it down meant dealing with a damaged ceiling and you know if you do one thing it all just runs together into a whole bunch of things.  So, we've just lived with the entire room as it was.   Jia drawing on the island, almost meant change but Eric found a wonderful product that took sharpie off the drawers.  Then last week our light stopped working.  Eric had a look and said it was scorched.  Yikes.  So down it comes and then we discover the original wood ceiling is still there a foot higher.  The decision is made to salvage the ceiling and put in giant crown moulding to bridge the gap.  The ceiling is down and we discover live knob and tube wiring!  No idea where it comes from, where it goes etc. so we have to call an electritian to deal with it again.  Third time we've found it live.  We were told that the whole house had new wiring.  Double yikes.  The island is out and we're going to take the big single pane window out and replace it with shelving and a piano window (that we bought at demxx yesterday) and lastly we're going to finally put in the big old white sink that Eric bought me last summer, we found a new tap for the old sink yesterday too.  So, not a new kitchen but fixing all of the things about it that don't work for me.  Exciting stuff.  It's amazing how much better it feels just to have the big ole' island out of there.  The kids hated it at first but now they dance around the whole room.  It's all good.  Oh, and the day the ceiling came down, the washing machine stopped.  Eric and I took off to Combs yesterday to look for the piano window and just ignored that we had a dead washer.  He's off today to Sears to hunt for a new one.  We do a LOT of laundry.  Not sure how many days we can survive without one!

Lili is off to her first sleep away camp tonight.  Fun stuff.  If only there was a way to calm her nerves!