Luk

Luk
Our family.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Just a regular week

The toy room, turned music room!  Jia's favorite thing to do.

Too hillarious and gross.

Look what Fei taught herself to do!

Mmmm...crackers...

We're on a normalish schedule.  Everyone is sleeping properly.  Everyone gets bathed and fed in the morning and the girls are getting to school on time.  I'm still late for work and taking easy mornings.  It's taking a lot longer for all of us to settle into the new morning routines than I thought it would.  Eric is doing better during the days with Jia's nap schedule.  We've got her accepting that her afternoon nap won't be until the girls get home from school.  She wakes up pretty much as I get home from work.  We're all anxious for her to move onto one nap a day but she really fights it at this point. 

Our agency called today to check in.  Nice to see that part happen, so many families are struggling at this point with the newly adopted kiddos.  We're still beyond delighted to report that Jia doesn't have any major issues.  She is such an easy baby most of the time.

Ok, well, Jia does HATE getting in the car.  A LOT.  She screams until she chokes and then vomits a bit and then moves right back to screaming.  We've tried movies, music, loud music, quiet music, soothing music, Chinese music, fresh air, toys, talking to her, sitting with her, food, bottles and even silly faces.  None of us can calm her down in the car.  It makes going anywhere fairly unpleasant and so we avoid going out if we don't have to.  Or I should say going out with her.  Lili did the same thing when she was a baby and it took at least 6 months before she would ride nicely in the car.  I sure hope it won't take that long for Jia.  Any ideas?  Any one else have a miracle cure for the car and car seat?  We'll try pretty much anything at this point.  I miss going out and I miss going to the city for dinners out.  We did take Jia out of town to a mall on Friday and she did ok there, we put on a Strawberry Shortcake video, gag, and it seemed to work but on the way home she went right into screaming and even Miss Strawberry couldn't fix it.

Lili and Fei continue to do great with Jia.  When I change her butt, they still come to help!  As soon as she is done I hand her over and it gives me time to deal with the diaper genie and wash my hands.  Jia doesn't care for being put down on the floor.  She'll have to get used to that though.  She's too heavy to carry non-stop.  Eric is getting pretty good at cooking with one hand though.  The girls are happy to take her to the toy room after dinner so we can clean the kitchen.  They love to help feeding her and they make all of her bottles.  They keep trying to feed her the bottles, but she prefers Mama to do that.  She humors them for a minute and then fusses.  The girls have managed to figure out ways to work in tandem to get the sides of the crib down and they'll even go get her and amuse her until I get there when she is waking up.  I'm so grateful for all of their help.  It really makes things easier.  I keep thinking that it will end soon but they remain committed to their baby sister. 

Jia's crawl is getting really fast and we really have to watch her carefully now.  She is into everything.  We even have to close the door in the playroom now or else she just bee lines for the door.  She'd rather be exploring.  When I carry her around now she flings her arm out in the way we're going and points and talks like crazy.   She also yells out to all of us when we're not in the same room.  She says 'Ha' to everyone and waves goodbye.  She has learned 'Uh' for up and 'duh' for down.

We had unexpected house guests for a few days over the weekend so we didn't get out much again.  On Sunday Eric rode, our guests were gone and the girls and I had a girls day.  Fei learned how to do a french braid and she practiced a lot on my hair.  She is adamant that I can NOT get my hair cut.  It was good to have our down time Sunday.  Lili actually left for the day with Willow but it was still girl day at home with two kids :)  Used to be that when one left it was a major treat to just have one kid at home that was a weird 'oh ya' there's three of them now' moment.

I need to get some sibling shots of the girls.  I've taken so many pictures lately that we all just took a break over the last week so there aren't many good ones lately.  The baby shower is this weekend, so I will get some shots of them together then. 

Can you believe we've only been home three weeks?!

We have times where I still feel it's totally surreal that after so many years, Jia is real and she's home.  I wonder when the wonderment of that will end.