Luk

Luk
Our family.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The highs and lows of life.

Thrilled that Jia is an official Canadian.  Happy that her last post placement is in a few days.  Then we realize rattykins Mia who has been losing weight has taken a turn for the worse and her breathing is labored.  We gave her some antibiotics but obviously too late and not what she needed.  Lili found the poor wee girl dead in her cage after school today.  Eric says we've ruined our eldest.  I'm at work, can't offer much comfort.  I suggested that Fei clean the cage for Lili since she is so upset and she reached her hand in and got bit by Sophie.  So she was in tears too.  Not sure if Jia was crying but she was making a lot of noise.  Eric just hung up the phone with me to take care of the pure chaos. 

Started the day with Fei's IEP meeting, where it feels like the district is against her.  Anyways, she had an iep, now she doesn't, just a learning plan.  She has no designation and no EA support.  I'm delighted that she's doing so well in class and we're hopeful for a better school year but it does feel a bit like we went backwards on the paper trail.  So far Fei is enjoying school this year and we have only heard one story.  Apparently a kid in her class willfully poured water over her teachers desk and over library books and the teacher was upset.  Fei came home and said she didn't like that, her interventionist was there and it turns out that Fei didn't like how she felt when that happened.  So we explained that she'd had a feeling of empathy for her teacher and that it was a good thing.  Fei doesn't agree.  She prefers her more even keeled way of life.  Can you imagine being able to shut off feelings?!  Sometimes I wonder why we try to change her, sometimes how she thinks and feels seem like a gift.  Especially as Lili is rolled in a ball on the couch moaning about Mia while we're having this conversation.  I sure wouldn't mind a break from feelings now and then!

Then it was off to the dentist because I've broken a third tooth.  I assumed age.  Fei's teacher asked if I'm clenching my teeth and possibly fracturing them.  Hmmm.  Maybe.  I did ask and was told that the tooth that broke is right beneath my fake tooth that is so strong that the bottom one didn't stand a chance. 

Poor Mia, Poor Lili.  Just such sadness when they die.