Luk

Luk
Our family.

Friday, February 9, 2024

Again!


Well, thank you very much stupid cruise people.  Spreading your germs.  

I started feeling like a cold was starting on the way home.  Fei had a wee sniffle too.  Once home it all excellerated and I had a rough couple days here.  

Eric had to take over.  Amongst the fun of unpacking all of us and doing a mountain of laundry he also had to grocery shop, get my ozempic, take Jia to the doctor and attend a meeting about her grade 10, 11, 12 options.  He's been great.  He also got my hot tub running :)  Oh how I missed it.

Anyways, today I woke up feeling pretty good but realized I couldn't taste food.  Drat.  So tested and it's covid.  Lili and I were doing the test and reminiscing about how once upon a time when we took the tests it was like a death sentence.  Today, it's just super annoying.  And....I can't taste food.  I have a very poor relationship with food.  I resent eating.  I fear eating.  I rely on taste and smell to let me know if food is safe. Plus ozempic making me not want to eat in general.  It might be time to use timers and forcing regular eating.  

I've cancelled a lot this week and just cancelled the whole family going to Mary's for Lunar New Year dinner tomorrow.  That was disappointing.  

Bonnie Martin's is doing their special, perhaps we'll do take out.  ?  Certainly not as much fun as gathering with our friends.  Sob.  Fomo all the way.

We've had an ongoing battle with the school re Kai's eye glasses.  He hasn't worn them since June.  There are a ton of details around that.  School clearly disagreed and kept on and on about it.  So, we left on holidays with me writing six page letters in my head while we drove.  I finally relaxed and figured the last conversation was likely the end. Of course it wasn't.  Day 2 for the boys back to school and Luk overheard Kai being questioned about his glasses.  Kai shrugged and said nothing but I felt pressured to deal.  Arg.  Not great for the stress level.  I prefer a more passive approach to the team all working together for Kai and Kai's comfort.  Anyway.  There is a small chance it's sort of resolved, hoping we're done talking about it at any rate.

Now, in Kai issues.  We also came home to report cards.  Apparently Kai knows the multiplication table to the 10's.   Bahahah.  No chance.  Eric asked him what 2 plus 2 was and his answer was 2.  He doesn't understand numbers in general.  Like he couldn't set a table with the right number of anything.  So, I'm always conflicted in meetings.  I sit quietly while everyone talks about what he has learned and all that resonates for me is that he isn't potty trained, he doesn't know how to brush his teeth, wash his hands or face, or comb his hair.  He still misspells his name and writes it backwards. Why is the school in such a different place than where we are?  We are meeting the high school team on the 15th.  I am hopeful we are moving out of scholastics and onto life skills for him.  

If the entire point of him being in regular school was to integrate him and keep his education and options equal it's been wild to me how often I have to ask "are all of the children being asked to do this?".  Anyways.  Rambling now.  Too much time at home to dwell.  

Luk is keen for highschool and is on track.

What we're doing for Jia is a complete mystery.

For Kai I have a bunch more questions for sure.  

Lili and Fei were so easy.  We were beyond spoiled.  I didn't realize how lucky we were.  They both took care of everything pertaining to school.  I was occasionally asked to go in as their muscle but that was it.  

Must be time for another nap.