Luk

Luk
Our family.

Friday, September 8, 2017

Cow High

Lili is in grade 10 at Cowichan Secondary.  She has had a snafu with her shedule. Her first pick for electives was Drama and instead she was put into electonics (wiring, metal and wood working) with all boys.  She's tried for two days to sort it out but yesterday it got to be too much and the stress level came into play.  Eric and I told her we'd go in today and deal. 

She told the electronics teacher "at this point I need to focus on learning things that will help me with my future and no offense but this class isn't it".  She must have made an impression because when we met her councilor he was aware of the situation  (we're assuming from the electronics teacher).  He just brought up her file and worked on it until her courses were all moved around.  Lili was greatly relieved and happy with our results.  She was not happy about waiting for two weeks, not knowing if things could/would change and being stuck taking safety tests in the unwanted class. 

I think this was my first time back since I graduated from there in 1984.  Wow.  Waves of nostalgia washed over me walking in the front door.  The smell is the same!  Eric found my class pictures.  We sorta had fun in there today.  Knew the janitor and the other councilor.  Got a blackberry muffin from the cafeteria that was awesome. 

The school opened in 1950.  Lili goes on and on about it being so old and needing to be rebuilt.  I let her know it's 40 years newer than our house.  Also pretty cool that her grandparents and parents went there.  She was suddenly looking at it differently.

Fei had an uncomfortable day yesterday.  She didn't have words for the feelings.  She was racially profiled.  The teacher asked in front of the whole class if she knew what Canadian  coins were because she was an international student.  She told him she did know what the coins were but didn't correct the international student part.  Lili had the same thing happen three times last year.  Fei didn't believe it would happen.  I wish they could blow this stuff off. 

When we got to the high school today Lili wasn't keen to walk in with us. We get that but a good opportunity to tease.  So I said "why Lili?  Are you embarrassed that we're white?"  She said "well I haven't seen any friends with their parents and I don't know what they look like".  I quickly said "you're worried we aren't pretty enough?!".  She was in a pretty big hurry to get away.  Then when she came to see us at the office she was way down the hallway with her friends and Eric started doing jumping jacks and waving his arms around to embarrass her so I joined him and the other adults around wanted to know which one she was so Eric pointed to her all proud. One teacher even said we were great parents. It was beyond hillarious.  She took it in great stride.  Basically ignoring us.  Then she got her new schedule and hugged me so I shoved her off me and said "omg, someone might see".  I don't think she'll try to avoid us again ;)

Kai is meeting the people for his play group this afternoon.  He's doing a buddies playgroup on Tuesdays through Clements.

All three littles are in the classrooms that we were hoping for!  So I'm hopeful we're in for a better year.  

It's been a really challenging and exhaustive week.  We need a celebration tonight I think.