Luk

Luk
Our family.

Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Rough Couple Days

We woke up yesterday to find four vomits in Coco's kennel.  Then she vomited outside.  I took her to work so I could keep an eye on her.  In three hours she went down hill fast. Got wobbly, lots of little vomits and dry heaving.  She couldn't sleep because she kept heaving. She was quite cuddly but wanted down when her tummy convulsed. Then she had a couple seizures in my arms.  I called our vet who said to take her to the Nanaimo emergency. Yikes. I called Eric.  Left work and sobbed the whole way there.  She had passed out after the second seizure. When I got there and parked out front I called immediately.  Covid - can't go in.  I got her out of the car in her car seat. Very relieved she was still alive. Put her on the sidewalk and stepped back.  A woman in a serious hazmat suit came and took her.  Very scary.  Very surreal.  They were great. Called me every 20 mins for three hours. I stayed in the car and waited.  Lots of questions, lots of tests.  I could hear her screaming. That was super hard.  SUPER hard. In between each call I was looking online for what would be protocol for Coco. They did each and every step as standard procedure. Emergency care is pricey. Without it she would have died. So I don't like the cost and some of the procedure was exasperated by covid and I'm grateful the service was there and that they were able to stabilize Coco.  She had a bowel obstruction. Which caused vomiting.
 Which caused her having a glucose drop and dehydration. Which then caused a drop in potassium which is what caused her seizures. She stayed overnight on a drip. Replenished her glucose and potassium and hydrated her GI track so she could poop.  It worked.  No great story about what she might have swallowed just told me it was extremely common for puppies. They have said a couple things were odd about her blood panel indicating possible liver problems. I was able to pick her up this afternoon.  It's been a very long couple of days to say the least.  Seriously hoping this was a one time event.

All these years, all these critters and no emergency stories.  We mostly deal with old age! This was a shock to see her get so sick so fast.  Coco Loco is definitely winning the Drama Queen title at our house.

She was pretty happy to see me.  She seems a bit shell shocked.  She has meds to take for a week. Special diet for a few days.  She's tucked into the pack and play.  Hoping we can get some much needed sleep tonight!
Happy and healthy the night before the downside.
Looking a little freaked for the ride home in her car seat. Ears down.
Big giant bandage, was more like a cast.  So happy to have her back. She is totally being babied now.