Luk

Luk
Our family.

Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Today's breaking news.

We are poised to leave tomorrow.  We even managed to maneuver Jia into doing her packing.  This is hard for her.  It means deciding who she will be for 10 days.  How she will present.  I'm happy to report no wigs are coming with us.  Mostly for logistical reasons. 

I read on the news that there are no antigen tests available for travelers in the entire whatcom area. Officials are asking travelers to test at their destination versus at the border towns on the way home.  Which of course was my plan.

Here's the catch.  The antigen test is only good for 24hours and if we do it in California it will be expired by the time we drive back.  Turns out the prices have all been hiked significantly. Supply and demand.  So, after way too much time online figuring it out it was clear we're stuck doing pcr in L.A. before we drive back.  I found a lab near Universal Studios.  $89 US per person.  I could find antigen tests for 200ish in Bellingham but there were no appointments available that I could find.

So I canceled a night in Anaheim and rebooked in Hollywood.  Fun.  I wasn't expecting to be rethinking travel details.  Thank you covid.

And, just now, breaking news across Canada.  The federal government is planning to announce tomorrow that they're dropping the testing requirement for vaccinated Canadians. Yay.  Not soon enough for us though.  We're planning to come home the 27th and they're dropping requirements for April 1.  Why tease us?  Why not just do it as of the announcement?  Why the delay? Drat.  

I'm guessing the prices for travel are going to jump the second this is announced.

We did see the home care nurses yesterday.  A way better solution to seeing Drs in the emergency.  Problems all solved.  We stopped at the pharmacy and stocked up a bit more on bandage supplies.  That we don't need but I'm overthinking things as per usual.