Luk

Luk
Our family.

Monday, March 14, 2022

Want a little chuckle?

I keep thinking of this moment. Makes me laugh.  Might be funny for you too. Just an ordinary moment with our boys.

Lili's Birthday.  Jia, Kai, Luk and I are dropped off for a movie in Nanaimo (Landmark).  It's not our little theater at home.  So out of Kai's comfort zone. We use the tickets we have and we have to choose seats. I ask Luk if he would like to sit in his chair or transfer.  He chooses his chair. The system won't let 4 of us sit together but the girl hedges bets and says we'll book these two and these two but just sit together. The price of popcorn is significantly higher than at our theater so I complain.  Then we revamp the order a bit with some sharing involved.  Jia is melting in humiliation at this but seriously it was $47 for popcorn a drinks!  We skinnied it to $36.  

We go to hand our tickets over and go up the ramp but the girl walked away then I realized that the fellow we needed was sitting in a high wheelchair. He was a little person.  So little none of us noticed him until we were right beside him.  So I was being awkward while pretending I knew he was there.  Jia has her head down now.  Kai is chattering in Kai babble non stop because he's holding popcorn.  He doesn't normally get to hold or carry his popcorn.  The risk of spillage is super, super high.  Also, he might gaze at it lovingly and not try to see where he's going.

Next we have to get up the ramp but I'm holding my popcorn in one arm. So with only one hand on the chair we're veering left. Into the divider on the ramp. So Luk is understandably saying 'hey'.  I apologize to Luk. Request help from Jia who says no.  Encourage Kai to stay with us while using my hip to help guide the chair up the hill. Phew.

We find our theater. I know it's 6 but both boys aren't convinced. So I show a ticket stub to Luk.  Kai is attempting to eat the popcorn without hands ;) Who hasn't? Haha.

Now the really fun part.  The theater is completely dark. I assume if it's that dark they must be playing previews so Luk, Jia and I are all shushing Kai. Repeatedly. And more repeatedly. We come around the corner and there is nothing on the screen and no one in there so we can stop shushing Kai.

The wheelchair spots are in the 3rd row. Super sucky, super close to the screen.  But Luk's choice. Kai has now set off the Kai alarm because it's dark but my hands are full of popcorn and chair. As I'm trying to get Luk's chair turned around with one hand/arm, Jia goes back and guides Kai in.  Normally he would be upset about that, he rejects her help routinely but again, she gets him to his popcorn eating faster so he let her guide him.  

Now Kai pops into the wrong chair and as I'm trying to move him and he doesn't want to get up, Luk gets up out of his wheel chair and sits in a chair.  What?!  So I ask why.  He stares at me confused. I get Kai to move.  I move Luk over one spot.  Jia and I sit down.  Omg. 

There is popcorn all over the floor from spillage while jostling.

Now, we're in the theater by ourselves. Sitting in the crappiest seats ever.  To close to the screen, hard uncomfortable chairs with no pads on the arms.  Just thin metal rims cutting into your arm.  I again ask Luk why?  Then explain.  He wants to move back but I was way too exhausted from just getting in to even contemplate going out to change seats. 

A few more familes did show up.  

So, ya.  Just a few minutes of chaos that are our norm.