Luk

Luk
Our family.

Sunday, August 27, 2023

Attempting to Downsize

Ok.  So.  Cheese was supposed to be for me to use alone with a kid or two.  Eric and I ended up using it with the boys.  It was fabulous and so easy.  The boys are seriously growing and we're not sure it will work next year.  So, we're  currently looking at a bigger A-frame with bigger beds.  Which doesn't sound like a downsize but the goal is to sell the motorhome.  The A-frame we're looking at has all the things.  

Eric wants me to go to a Jeep Wrangler (top comes off) instead of two vehicles.  Barbie and GI Joe drive Wranglers.  I have ALWAYS wanted one.  They are not practical.  At all.
 They are fun.  I'm not getting younger.  Eric knows how much I want one and is pushing. 

I want an older Jeep in a price range suitable for a second vehicle that won't be driven much.  So, I've been looking very specifically for a 2008, 2009 or 2010 Rubicon or Sahara with a 3.8L engine.  In a manual.  So that the gear ratio will allow 5000lbs towing versus the 3500lbs of all other Wranglers.

Ok, and perferably in a perfect world, the 2008 in pea green with Black fenders, roof and grill.  

I found the right look in Victoria a couple months ago and I loved it but it was an automatic and lower towing weight.  Plus Eric wasn't delighted with a few things on the test drive.

Then I found the right model and color in Courtenay and we went to look and I couldn't get into it.  It was lifted too high with big tires and a fancy lift kit.  Fei found her car on the same lot.

Next I found what I suspected was the right model again in Courtenay and I did a lot of texting with the salesman but he was too clueless about getting me the gear ratio.  The ad had a stock photo and he did send me actual pictures and it was clearly red.  The approved fun colors for me are green, orange, red or yellow and possibly blue.  Nothing neutral, no grey, silver, black or white.  We had time to go yesterday.  

When we got there it wasn't red at all.  So my disappointment was huge.  It's a warm orangish/reddish brown.  More like pumpkin spice or red velvet cake.  I liked it but I wasn't jumping for joy immediately at the color.  Then we test drove it.  It's truely awesome, doesn't need much for alterations, fixes or upgrades and is spotlessly clean.  Eric loves it.  So we started negotiations.  It turns out that the Toyota lot claims it's priced to sell and they won't budge on their price.  Is this how cars are sold now? So weird.  We made an offer, expecting to dicker back and forth for a while but they sent the numbers guy out who was an arrogant pri#$.  I said are you seriously not coming down on a used car.  Nope they weren't.  So we walked away.  Not because of the price, because I would have paid the whole price if I'd known no one dickers anymore.  Egos definitely thwarted the deal.  Ok, my ego.  He made me mad, ok furious and I missed a snack and was feeling sugar low shakey and it was hot.  

We drove basically across the street to the green one and called Parker, he couldn't come to meet us so we didn't get a test drive but he had dropped the price a week earlier in a text to me and while on the phone he dropped another two thousand.  Eric crawled over and under it.  It's definitely a contender but it needs smaller tires, new fender flares and a new grill.  As well as a serious detailing. All possible.  Also it is ten thousand less and the preferred color.  

I did send an email to the salesman on the lot and thanked him for his time.  I sent him the photo of the competition and the price, he thought that was a better deal.  They dropped the price 1000 after claiming they would never come down.

So.  Which one do I pick??  I'm wracking my brain.  Eric says either one is fine.  He just wants me happy.  Which one would make me happy?! I honesty like them both.

Then to confuse things.  Eric wants another A-frame but I want a Trail Manor which is a bigger pop up in a different style but would still fold down and fit in a garage.  I feel in the downsizing mission it could quite easily replace both Cheese and the motorhome for me.  I've found 3 for sale in BC.  I don't want to go look until we have the Jeep sorted.  The older ones wouldn't require the extra towing ability but the newer ones definitely get heavier.  

Looking for votes here.
Red Rock Pearl, 2010, 53000kms $23900 Sahara
Sweet Pea Green, 2008, 109,000kms $15000
Rubicon

Keeping in mind both are super low kms since I don't drive much and will get many years out of either.  Both have the right engine.  The basic difference is color and price.

All things on Wranglers are easily replaced.   

Lili says wait a year and see what else you find.  I feel like I've looked at zillions of Wranglers and would rather just get it done now that the research is done and Eric and I agree.  That's the hard part.  
Of course, I did get to spend a day with my guy and we got Dole Whip.  We shared a small and I ate tiny bites for his big scoops.  Haha.

We also grabbed a Mozza burger combo on the way and shared.  We've become the old couple sharing one meal.  
We then shared a curry at Transfer Beach.  

Overall the day wasn't too bad.

Not much going on here today.  Fei worked nightshift so she's sleeping.  Lili and Jia are working all day.  I'm on season 5 of Gilmore Girls.