Luk

Luk
Our family.

Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Perseverance

Luk is having a hard time with exhaustion with back to school.  This is normal for him but alarming to watch.  He is so tired that when I get home from work he is laying in bed already.  We have to call him down for dinner and snacks.  He is developing a speech stutter we've never seen before. He is dragging.  I've even started using the handicapped parking spot at school in the morning to get him closer to his classroom.  He isn't using his chair at school yet this year but it's looking like he should.

I try, really try, to let the school do what they do.  Today I didn't handle things as well as I like to think I do. Things are weird not being allowed in the school. No iep meeting, no talking.  Just got agendas.  Anyways.

Luk has voiced for the first time ever that he's super tired.  Then last night he asked if he had to do the Terry Fox run.  I said of course not.  Then wrote a note in his agenda saying he was tired and didn't want to run in it.  Thinking it was a simple problem, simple request, simple solution.  Kai and Jia also don't want to do it but they weren't excused. 

I'm at work and just got an email from his teacher. Explaining why he shouldn't skip it and this...
<< If he's too tired, I will have him sit out of view of the others as the others are not permitted to stop (because Terry didn't stop....through sun, rain, snow).  We are trying to build their perseverance.  >>

Ah...really...out of view?!  Gobsmacked. My email back was pretty curt.  Including 'Frankly Luk works harder than any human I've ever met.  No disrespect intended to Terry Fox but this isn't Luk's lesson in perseverance to learn.'

Then I thought it is beyond my comprehension that we have to circle the exhaustion issue again.  Staggering really.  But here we go.  I called the school and 'met' the new principal.  Crazy lady wanting everyone on the same page.  I told him Luk is paralyzed.  We don't know how he does all that he does.  That I was super proud of Luk for identifying a problem and asking for accommodation because he NEVER does and he does way more than he should.  He is the one that has to learn to take care of himself and make decisions for his health.  I feel that him asking was a positive step.  I don't think Terry Fox wanted kids like Luk to be taking over for him.  It isn't what I want, it's about what Luk needs. We shall see what happens tomorrow.  

I do appreciate teachers.  I don't love some of these communication issues.  I know the boys teacher didn't mean to upset me or challenge Luk. I don't feel qualified to navigate these murky waters.  Ultimately, I want the kids to do reading, writing and arithmetic.  Too much time and effort in this other stuff.  I would prefer a two day a week platform with all the extras pulled out. If only I was the Supreme Leader.