Luk

Luk
Our family.

Friday, September 17, 2021

It's Been a Week.

The high light of the week   Jade's 16th Birthday Party. We hadn't seen Lili and Fei in 12 days.  Crazy.  We met for dinner at Milanos and did the dinner/movie deal so we have movie tickets for another day.

The kids got their new classes on Monday.  Jia was separated from Max.  Both of them were shocked and dismayed.  Lots of tears.  Jia has two girls from her group in the new class but one of them is the girl with all the racial and hate comments from last year.  We love the teacher.  Jia has settled a bit through the week, she also likes her teacher and the problem kid from last year hasn't been a problem yet this year.  Sigh.  

Luk is happy to be back at school.  No issues for him yet.

Kai has been distressed.  He's quite unhappy.  Saying it's all too hard.  

Now...the weird part.  The boys teacher wanted them in her class.  On day two she met us at the car wanting to talk.  All three girls have been through her class.  So I think there was some familiarity that she felt comfortable saying some things that clearly should have been filtered. English isn't her first language.  Our meeting wasn't great.  She shot lots of questions at us.  Why does Kai cry? What is wrong with his voice? What can be done about it? Is there surgery? Will it change?  I can't take it.  It's unnatural.  Why does he lay down?  Why doesn't he like to run?  How far and hard can I push him?  Why is he even in school?  There was more.  I tried answering most of it calmly. Eric didn't even bother.  She also wants to know why we haven't had surgery on Luk's feet.  Wild.  Ah, because surgery isn't an option and no chance we'd risk him losing mobility so he'd look better for you.  I didn't say that of course because my filter was working. It was a long night.  Trying to decipher her abruptness. I know she obviously cares.  She wants to fix them both.  Like we've neglected their medical care and no one has done what they've needed along the way.  I'm not exaggerating when I tell y'all that both our boys have GIANT teams of people looking out for them.  Oh, and yet again, another teacher that doesn't get paralysis if Luk can walk.  Sigh.

We left the school after that meeting and drove directly across town to the Grove (a district homeschool program).  They were just closing. I did have long chats with the principal from the Grove the next day.  The program would be great for Jia, could possibly work for Luk but is absolutely not an option for Kai. He is where he needs to be.  Possibly not the right classroom but the right school.  Definitely exhausting for all of us here. I also did talk to the special needs coordinator and she was able to assure me that she's been checking on Kai lots and he's doing ok in the class.

Both Luk and Jia reported yesterday that Kai was in the hallway being yelled at and he was crying again.  Kai says he doesn't want to talk about it.  We haven't had time to discuss because, Finn had a significant fall yesterday.  That caused an immediate seizure.  It was bad.  From beginning of his seizure to handing him over to the vet was 10 minutes.  Major drama here.  Eric drove Finn and I to the vet, they met me at the door.  Then he went to pick up the kids from school.  I paced around outside like a crazy woman covered in Finn's pee.  I have zero sense of time.  When I was finally brought in the vet was clear that she felt Finn should be euthanized.  OMG. They made arrangements for us to take him to Waves if we wanted but I'm in a support group for hydrocephalus and I already know what protocol should be. After checking for physical damage, broken anything (ultra sound showed no breaks) he needed steroids and heavy pain meds.  Our vet didn't know what to do.  She got clearance from the neurologist at Waves for the pain protocol and let him come home with us.  I wasn't strong enough to push for steroids and I don't even know if they really do anything for possible brain swelling and brain damage.  

He's still with us.  He's definitely traumatized.  I think he's coming around.  The vet was clear that taking him home was for me and not for him.  He's without question the sweetest dog I have ever met.  We opted not to send him to waves, just not really much that can be done when hydro babies have head injuries.  Hope and prayer.

He can walk, he can see.  I don't see neuro damage.  He remembers where everything is.  He's having eye contact with me.  He's asked for kisses, tried his head mushing thing.  This morning he followed me.  Mostly he wants to just be on my lap, cuddle and stare at me.
Coco has been quite protective.  Sticking close. I've cried buckets and buckets, so has Finn.  This is really hard.  Makes the school stuff seem kinda silly.  Luk is a bit freaked since he also has hydrocephalus.  

So if you have time could you all say a prayer for our little Finn.  I'm not ready to let him go.  He's not ready to go.  We're seeing some progress but it's a lot slower than I'd like.