Luk

Luk
Our family.

Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Oscar got his Tattoo.

Not really permanent, I suppose we could pick it off.  It's vinyl.
Both sides.  Now he's ready for the trip ;)
We didn't have much of a plan re: family xmas picture or jammies.  But I was asked to submit something adoption related quite quickly here and we don't have any current family pictures.  So, if we weren't busy enough, we've thrown together a plan for this Friday.  Jia wants to decorate Oscar in a Grinch theme for the Christmas car parade.  Eric found these shirts with enough for all of us.  So Grinch it is this year!  We were going to drag everyone to Nanaimo to meet Lili but she is coming home so we'll just do it here.  We just need a green backdrop that isn't all fall colors.  We do have a great fir tree in the back yard so next we're hoping for no rain.  Wish us luck.  Family picture day is a rough one for Kai.  
I just ordered this set as Oscar's costume. LOL.  I can't wait to show Jia.  How did we all survive without Amazon?  
Kai saw his Pediatrician today.  All good.  No issues.  Nothing important coming up. Cardiology, geneticist, liver and kidney tests, all deferred for a couple years.  He will see his Endocrinologist in the spring.  Still watching for puberty.  Interestingly, the Pediatrician was just at a conference where she met a Dr. that is using a new medication to help with obesity issues directly related to Biedel Bardet Syndrome (BBS).  It's such a rare Syndrome that she was surprised to hear anything at all about it.  And, the drug is basically Ozempic.  Interesting.

We have managed to keep his weight semi under control.  Too high but not at a level he needs medication for.  Yet.  We all agreed taking his love of food away would be a bit cruel.

Ozempic definitely is a weird one.  I feel full all the time.  But low sugar levels indicate I have to eat, often.  But I'm FULL.  So I have to eat, but all food is gross.  The unhealthy relationship I had with food is even more twisted than it was before. The constant search for 'safe' food re Crohns, now mixed with the need for diabetic considerations all while it's mostly just yucky.  Haha.  I can't imagine navigating this with Kai.  Kai isn't diabetic yet, or even pre-diabetic but the Drs expect he will/could develop issues eventually and so he is checked every six months.

My numbers are holding in a good place.  Still not being forced to use insulin.  The Endocrinologist thinks my life would be easier with it.  I'm not convinced.  

I am pretty happy that Eric and I have the trailer for this trip which means mostly safe food for the week.  
An after-school snack turned into dinner yesterday.  Kai thought his hat was pretty special and wore it proudly right up until bedtime.  So fun. Oh, and now home from school today with his hat right back on.  It's paper.  Wondering now if I should go get more from McDonald's while supplies last.  

Life is mostly calm these days.  We're just constant movement trying to keep up.