Luk

Luk
Our family.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

1st Day in Beijing

Nice day here, it's so nice to have cool weather, the air is crisp and clear, we're all loving that we're no longer wet from humidity and Jia seems to be handling the cooler weather just fine.

We made it to Wal-Mart and here's another photo from that trip, note that Jia is pushing the cart...she is totally PUSHING the cart, she grabs on and grunts and pushes like crazy.  Too funny.
And then when I add photos in with the words, I can't get the words back to the left. 

Here is Jia in her new stylin' stroller!

After a break in the hotel we went back out to the Silk Market.  We had some fun there, it's crazy busy and at first the girls were scared.  It started clearing out at supper time and it got easier to walk around.  Also the first floor was all adult clothing and once we got out of there the crowds thinned out.  I didn't enjoy the bartering as much as I have in the past.  The girls didn't care for it and they just stared at me with their mouths open.  I forgot to prepare them for that style of shopping.  In the end I got Jia's doll and a scroll that I liked.  They started asking 600y and I paid 50y.  It's a wild way to shop for sure.  Mom stopped and had a foot massage.


Jia went ahead and had a third nap.

We had dinner at a buffet at the Silk Market, it was ok and most importantly it had purple ice cream and Jia was beyond excited about that. 

Cabs are a whole different thing here, they barter for the fare!  I hate that.  I liked the meters.  Sigh.  Also we've all six of us been craming into cabs all along and now they make a big fuss out of there being six of us.  It's a pain but we're managing and I'm sure we'll get better at it.  We've never had to barter for a cab ride before.  When we got back, I put Jia to sleep, while Eric and Mom took the girls swimming, Helena was there and the girls had fun.


 
  Ok, so that was yesterday, we've all had another great sleep, love this cool, dry air.  Jia slept through the night again.  Today is the medical for Jia and then we have no idea what we'll do.  It's a mystery. 

I don't feel ready to go home at all.  We're largely on our own and so it's a bit holidayish.  Home will be tons of work and being super busy. 

Oh, and we drive past our old hotels to get to this one, they're both still there.  Lili and Fei want to go have a look, so we probably will.  Catherine, the Pizza Hut is still there :)

We found a Subway last night too, but went with the buffet instead so that Mom and the girls could have spaghetti again.  Lili is happy to know there is a Subway and we've promised her we'll go there next time we're at the silk market.