Luk

Luk
Our family.

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Adoption Day, Canadian Thanksgiving

















We met Jia in the lobby of the hotel, I wasn't thrilled with it being so public but preferred it to Jia associating the room to her next abandonment.  In the end I didn't really notice the other people, it quickly became all about Jia.  We had her for four hours before she went to bed and she wasn't too happy with us the whole time, but she had moments where she wanted to have fun and smile. 

She is a restless sleeper, moves all over, tosses and turns and babbles in her sleep.  She was up and wide awake at 1:00am.  I took her to our bed and she ran her hands all over Lili's face, it was very sweet, Miss Lili just wouldn't wake up.  Jia was crawling, climbing, laughing and all smiles.  I didn't want Lili to miss it so I shook her until she got up and enjoyed the moment with me.  Eventually Eric joined us and gave her a bottle and she went back to sleep until 6:00 this morning. 

She is strong, determined, funny, curious, bright and oh so charming and cute.  She can pull herself up and stand, almost unassisted.  She's a bit clumsy still.  Her fine motor skills are ok.  She is strong.  She babbles a lot and does some sing-songing.  She rubs my arm when I hold her and calls me Mama.  She has lots of letter sounds.  For a Mom that has spent so much time working on speech, sensory and strength, I have to say so far Jia is really going to be the bonus baby.  Did I mention how strong she is?  If she gets ahold of something she can't have it's a genuine struggle to get it away from her.  Did I mention she is determined?

Jia has a bit of a cold.  Lots of snot going on and her chest is a bit raspy.  Nothing serious.  A bit of sun rash on her cheeks.  She has the biggest, darkest mongolian mark on her back that I've ever seen.  We'll have to document that one for sure! 

Today was adoption day, Jia woke up happy, happy and had a bath that she really liked.  Breakfast was funny, she's really busy and Eric and I literally had to take turns eating.  It's hard not to compare but she is nothing like Lili and Fei were.  Now we're curious to know if she is just 'normal'.  Penny...I'm sooooooo going to have to pull this one off of the tall furniture and give chase to a screaming, laughing toddler.

Lili and Fei are beyond smitten with Jia.  She lights up when she sees them already.

The official procedure was a breeze, but HOT, HOT, HOT.  We were drenched and pretty happy to leave there and get back to the hotel.  Jia doesn't seem to care for being hot and gets fussy too.  The Director was lovely and obviously concerned about Jia and Meilin.  She gave Eric her business card and e-mail so that we can keep in touch and she's invited us to bring Jia back to visit any time. 

There were quite a few kids being adopted today.  Lots of happy families.  Our three beautiful girls in their matching Anne Geddes ladybug dresses made a bit of a stir and the officials were all commenting.  The Director was pleased to see the three of them together and matching.  I'm so glad we made the effort.  Jia loved her dress too, she kept pulling it right up to her face and stuffing it in her mouth. 

She has three teeth and a fourth just starting.  Fei is about to lose her other front tooth.  It's been all about the teeth here.

I met svj this morning, a Rumor Queen friend.  They're doing great with their Emma, she is very sweet and very tiny. 

It's raining today but still HOT.  Really it's just adding to the humidity.  Mom's decided to quit fighting the humidity and is just going with the wet.  When we mention that we're hot, the locals say 'but, it's raining'.  Our answer...we're Canadian.  That seems to be enough.

All is well here.  I'm in a bit of shock with how much work Jia is.  You really do forget all that.  I told Eric I forgot how to take care of a baby and he said it would come flooding back and it does.  We'd only had her an hour and the room was a dissaster...stuff everywhere!  There were five of us literally at Jia's beck and call and we still couldn't keep up with her needs.   It's better today.  Did I mention she is determined?