Luk

Luk
Our family.

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Finally at the Nikko




Got up at 5:30am, told the girls we were leaving at 6:30, at 5:37 they were showered, dressed and ready to go!  Wonder how we could get that much co-operation on school days?!

There is a storm happening here in Beijing, thunder, lightening and unbelievable amounts of rain.  I've never seen anything like it.  We had to circle before landing, there were no gates that they could get to so they had to bring stand only buses out to us.  When we stepped out of the plane it was like standing under a waterfall.  Not that we've actually ever done that, but it was like how I would imagine it :)  Of course we were drenched and once we were on the stand only bus I got crap from the old lady that had sat by us on the plane because Lili didn't have a coat on.  Seriously, a coat wasn't going to help anything with the amount of water coming down.  Once we cleared immigration and got our luggage we headed out with our new friends Mary and Shea (10) from Australia (going to the same camp, we met them in the Vancouver airport) and attempted to get a taxi.  Ay-yi-yi how things have changed.  Still the same wonky elevator system out of the airport but the line up from the taxi shortage was beyond crazy.  Really should have taken a picture of it.  We were approached about a shuttle bus but the price was high.  I would have paid the whole amount for Lili and I but Mary was concerned about the principal.  Anyways,  after some debate we took the shuttle and it was great.  Our driver was amazing.  Took an hour and half, he had to take detours all over the place because it looks like all of Beijing is flooded!  There is minimum 6" covering all of the roads, deeper in some places.  Our driver had to floor it to get through some areas.  It was dark at 7, we could hardly see.  Honestly the most horrific or exciting drive I've ever seen and that is saying a lot.

There were lot so people out standing in the water, Lili and Shea were concerned that they must be cold.  I was concerned about how dirty that water might be.  I had already decided that if it was that bad at our hotel, I'd take my shoes off and scrub my tootsies.  Just wasn't ready to subject my echo's to that water.  There are shop keepers all over the sidewalks trying to sweep the water...because that's such an effective way to move water. 

We couldn't see much around our hotel, so no idea what is around us.  Lots of black sedans and men in suits.  Clearly the business district.  The hotel looks fancy.  Room is ok, everything we need is here and it's super clean.  Bed is HARD but the linen is the nice crisp white that is all over China.  The airport had buckets and towels all over the place apparently the Beijing airport leaks, a lot.  So does our hotel.  The lobby had several buckets out and there were some more puddles on the floor.  Glass ceiling over the center atrium. 

It was cool to see the American adoption bigs with their signs out when we were leaving the airport.  Families off to get their new kiddo's.  It feels quite strange to be here knowing there won't be another baby.

I hate flying, I really do.  Can anyone tell me why the planes have to be so freaking hot?!!  Lili's feet swelled on the plane.  For everyone who knows her, you can imagine what that was like.  My ankles are swollen too.  Our room is nice and cool so I'm hoping once I lay down they'll go back to normal.  It's not that hot out, humid but not too bad.  The rain is the biggest issue.  Supposed to rain like that all day tomorrow.   Not sure how fun the zoo will be in the rain/monsoon.  We're meeting Mary and Shea after breakfast.

Lili is already asleep.  I'll join her in a couple mins.  None of my converter travel stuff works.  Can't figure out how to call the front desk, so it will have to wait until morning. 

We were too tired and frustrated to attempt a meal so dinner tonight was ice cream and a rice krispie square that we bought on the ferry.  Fingers crossed for a decent breakfast.  Food on the plane was actually ok.  I know weird.  Maybe it's their way of trying to make up for the temperature in the plane ;)