Luk

Luk
Our family.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Funny Monk moment


Can't take photos.  Can't make noise near the temple the monks are in.   Jack talks to us about respecting tradition.  About the seperate buddas.  We are silent near the people praying.  Total reverance.  We sit down with the head Monk, he signals a woman in a little store to get tea (they sell drinks, snacks,  incence and candles.  Then he gives Lili cookies and candies which struck me as funny.  Packaged junk just not fitting my vision of a monk living the old way.  Then he reaches under his robe and whips out his I-phone, bright yellow.  The emperors color.  He opens up contacts and loads in new information from Jack.  So much for my ideas about Monks in China. I asked at that point for one photo and he allowed it.  Jack shook his hand when we were leaving so I put out my hand and he leaped back and bowed to me. Lili was horrified at my mistake, I told Lili I was Canadian, they expect me to make mistakes, Jack laughed at that. So, if you are a woman visiting China, don't attempt to touch a monk. Lesson of the day.Will post pictures later.  Too funny.