Luk

Luk
Our family.

Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Great Wall and Peking Opera Lessons

The Great Wall just never gets boring.

She is half way up!

Lili wanted a picture of the weapons, isn't the picture cool?

Pretty proud of her hike.


Fa Mu Lan aka Ting Fu Qi aka Lili An Fu Qi Nelson finally conquers the wall!

Making dreams come true.

He's actual size :)

Most of the kids.








Silly girls at dinner.

Way too tired last night to blog.  We crashed again.  I couldn't even type on the bus.  Conrad had too much to say about today.  The cultural exchange day.  We're going to a school for the morning and then each family is going home with a local family (students matched with our kids from the school we visit).  We'll stay with the family for dinner in their home and then they will drive us home to the hotel.  We'll say our goodbys with the group at lunch today.  Wild.  The camp has flown by really fast.  Lili says she's going to miss all of our friends and is sad about today.  Last night when we got back we had to RUN to the grocery to buy a gift to take to the exchange family, we got grapefruit, oranges, peanuts, dried cherries, chocolate and cookies.  We should have brought something from Canada but we had no idea we were doing this and no one told us.  I do have some gifts here but Lili wanted to save them for the SWI.

Yesterday we did the Great Wall again.  We were there for two hours.  It was really foggy but it didn't rain so it was all good.  Lili didn't want to climb but the second she got on the stairs at the base she was itching to go.  There was yellow all the way up to the peak so I told her she could go but to stay with yellows.  So, yup, our little girl took off on her own and totally mastered the Wall.  She wanted to catch up to friends so was going really fast, I was having a hard time keeping my eye on her in the crowd but when she was half way up she stopped and waved at me and I knew she'd made it to friends.  She got to the top!   Eric, Mom, we were at the same spot as with Jia, but on the other side that is steep.  Lili was pretty thrilled that she's now climbed both sides.  I stood in the shade and chatted with travellers from Ireland. 

When she got down we shopped a bit, had a popsicle and then she had her photo taken and laminated on a certificate stating that she climbed the wall.  She was sooooo cute dressed as a warrior.  Canrad said she was dressed as a heroin. 

Did I mention the history lessons?  Conrad gives us talks almost every minute we're in the bus.  Extremely interesting.  Lili says she is totally going to miss listening to him.  I know I am.  Some of it has been a bit racey, especially about the past Emperors and their strange tastes and habits regarding women.  She hasn't questioned any of that but I've heard from other Moms that their kids were a bit shocked.  I've also heard from the other parents that they aren't getting the history lessons at all.  We are going to miss Conrad for sure.

The jade factory was fun.  I've been asked...Chinese mothers wear the bangles, and because jade is alive it becomes a part of you and you become a part of it, so your love and care, knowledge and experience goes into the stone, when your daughter becomes and adult you pass it on to her.  Some say at 18 with is legal, some say when you deem her to be adult and responsible.  I personally am thinking that when they become mothers and show some sacrifice will be when I deem them adult.  We'll see.  They put your elbow on the table and massage your hand and slip a plastice bag over your hand to get them onto your wrist while telling you the whole time to relax.  Ya' I know, I'm soooo not a relaxed person, it hurt until I did actually relax.  Now, honestly I have no clue how to get them off, but Debbie will show me how when I get home :)  I did choose bright colors for the girls and I'm a tad worried my lovely yellow shirt this week may have influenced my choice!  They are pretty, and they jangle.  Still loving them and you've all had another wee lesson.

Next was to the Peking Opera school.  We didn't get to see opera, we got to learn how to perform opera.  Very interesting.  Some kids got to do make up, Lili went as far away from that area as she could!  One teacher to show movement like fighting (kung fu) and riding a horse on stage.  One to show dance, grace and pantomine and one to show the kids the different musical instruments.

Lastly was dinner and the acrobats, different theater, it was good.  We were all so tired but at least it was cool in there.  Basically the same show as we've seen several times.  Still impressive though.

Time to get ready for the day of exchange and goodbyes.