Luk

Luk
Our family.

Thursday, May 19, 2022

Arrivecan

Arrivecan has been emailing me daily since we got back reminding me that if anyone in our party is required to quarantine we have to go to the app and fill in a health questionnaire daily.  We are all vaccinated.  No need to quarantine.  We were not selected at the border for random testing. So I just delete them.

The app keeps asking for Lili's daily health check.  I figured it was an app glitch and just said daily that she didn't have a fever.

This morning I got an email saying anyone selected for random testing must do their day 8 test tomorrow. None of us were selected. So I deleted it.

The app then reminds me Lili must do her test tomorrow.  Uh oh.  Might have to deal with this.  Sigh.

I called the number at the bottom of the email. Explained the situation.  He tells me she has been randomly selected and must do the test.  I read him the blurb off the Canadian travel site about what should have happened at the border and explain again that didn't happen.  He says test must be done at the border.  I didn't keep my cool at this point.  Told him in no uncertain terms that we were not taking a ferry to go to the border for a test we weren't even randomly selected for.  He is adamant it's our only option. 

I made it clear I would be reporting this problem and insisted on an email or address.  Guys....this is the email to complain:
phac.emergencyorder-deccret-durgencecovid19.aspc@phae-aspc.gc.ca
Could it be any longer?!

Hahaha.  Try getting that all written down when you're furious and the fellow on the line is meek and quiet and frustrated with me.  

At this point I have to get Lili to the Peace Arch on the Friday of a long weekend.  Imagine how delighted I was.  Grrr. Absolutely unbelievable.

He also gave me the number for lifelabs, who are in control of border testing.

I called life labs who tell me this glitch has been happening since mid April.  She thinks we should do the test. She agrees we shouldn't have to test but there is no way around it.  There is no border testing on the island.  We must go to the border.  Big sigh.  That's NOT happening what are our options? She can mail us a test, we'll be late in getting it and in doing the proctored test.  She did confirm we should have been notified at the border and should have had a test administered at the border at crossing and given a test to take home.  She has me call Health Canada.

And finally a voice of reason.  We are told to ignore all other emails and app alerts.  Do nothing.  When and if an agent calls we explain she is vaccinated and boosted and we were not selected at the border. 

Here's the thing though...I suspect that Lili was probably randomly selected by the computer at the border but in the middle of the border drama (having to get keys from the erratic guy with the missing girl) the border guard likely didn't see it or was ignoring it to get us out of there.

Head smack, I just can't fathom two separate people in BC telling me to go back to the border!!  The world has taken the covid thing too far.  Pure insanity today.

I told Eric today that if we actually make it through the next 9 days without covid and test negative on the 27th and actually get to go on our cruise it is a certainty that arrivecan will flag us coming back to Canada.  

How are you all starting your day?

Our covid girls have been amazing about staying in their rooms.  No complaining.  No changes in their health.  Seems so ridiculous to be going to all these measures for an illness that isn't an illness.  I do realize not everyone is so lucky. So far the rest of us are all symptom free.

We're not exactly sure about camping this weekend.  But the front runner idea is for the 5 healthy family members to go and leave the 2 covid kids home to fend for themselves.  They're still sleeping so we haven't been able to run that idea past them.  They need to stay isolated until Saturday.  Funny part: Lili is so determined to avoid covid that she is willing to camp with us and the boys.  

In other news, iep meetings for the boys were yesterday.  I forgot in all the covid drama and we had to zoom in. Meetings were OK overall.  Luk is doing great.  However his teacher had to make a point of telling me how great he is in dodgeball.  This is a sore spot.  It's in his iep that with a head shunt and a chait tube he shouldn't be doing anything that would involve them being hit. Like dodgeball.  So the more I thought about it the madder I was getting last night and was starting to write my letter to go on file and Luk tells me he LOVES dodgeball.  Oy.  So sucking it up.  Also it's clear that in general they still do not understand paralysis exhaustion and are happy Luk is participating more in gym.  Ya', great except he is DONE by the time he gets home and can barely move.  

Kai is reported to be doing well with everything adapted all day.  We see his work and it's clear that his ea is really good at grade five assignments.  I believe he is absolutely in the wrong place but we haven't found a program better suited for him yet.