Luk

Luk
Our family.

Sunday, October 29, 2023

Halloweekend

Lili, Jia, Luk and I went to see the Five Nights at Freddies movie on Friday.  It wasn't as horrible as the reviews.  Jia loved it.  Eric, Fei and Kai came to Nanaimo with us and grocery shopped while we watched the movie.  Then we met friends for dinner out.  Jia wanted to join them after to go through a haunted barn.  Sigh.  
Then Luk wanted to go too but these two had met up with some of May's friends at the front of the line and when I found them they weren't interested in letting Luk join.  They needed groups of five. Luk would be six.  So I thought they should split up and make it work.  That idea was shot down.  I reminded them that Holly was joining too. There was at least an embarrassed look but no one was budging on making room for Luk, or Holly or being inclusive.  I'm soooooo much 'the more the merrier' that I'll admit it genuinely pisses me off when blatent exclusion is happening.  Luk was too scared to go with Holly on his own, he doesn't know her very well.  So, yup, I had to go through.  I will do anything for my kids.  So, Holly, Luk and I bravely did it together.  The people ahead of us had been in line for two hours.  So it was at least nice that we didn't have to wait long since May's three friends had done the long wait already. Luk was so brave.  He charged ahead and graciously let me hang onto his arm.  It wasn't nearly as bad as I was anticipating and I actually had a few laughs going through.  I was chatting with the actors.  Which was sort of fun actually.  I have no idea if Luk will ever go in another one.
Eric had Oscar all decorated and we took him for Trick or Treating on Saturday in Chemainus. Followed by lunch at Ping's.  She's back from China!  We missed her.
Lili joined us.
Proof I was there.
Jia did her own makeup.
Can we guess who the ghost is?
Haha, yup, our short 21 year old joined in the fun.
It turned out to be a gorgeous day.  Love the feel of Chemainus for this event.  So relaxed.  Except this year we had Eric with us and he was all about going fast.  He didn't get the memo about keeping it all as low key as possible.
The museum did an event that was great.  We got to go through and solve a local story by talking to all the ghosts.  It was really well done. Kai went to Gramma's after so that he could skip out of the Jeep run later.  We figured he'd hate that event.  He had more fun with Gramma and Poppy.  Fei picked him up after work.  
Our Jeep event was a bit misleading. It was actually put out to all the car groups and open to everyone.  There were only 4 Jeeps there but about 60 vehicles from the old to the clunkers and even a mini van.  Some decorated, a lot not.  
Comparatively, we didn't do so badly.  There were maybe 8 to 10 that were definitely better decorated than ours.   Jia wants to step it up for next year ;)  The ideas are flowing.  The kids found it unnerving to have people taking pictures of Oscar while they were sitting in it.
This was my favorite.
Eric's light up ghost in the back was pretty cool.  
Proof I was there.

The actual drive part was a lot of fun.  We drove for about half an hour, doing the same route twice.  There were a lot of peolple out to watch so it was an actual parade.  We opened our windows and Jia blasted Halloween music while we all waved.  It was certainly different from anything we've ever done before.  

It's Sunday.  I'm wiped.  I've overdone life lately and it's going to be a much needed couch day.