Luk

Luk
Our family.

Saturday, January 22, 2022

Saturday

This is my corner.  The light doesn't work.  The couch is extremely uncomfortable.  There isn't any privacy and I can see into all of the rooms across the way. But, I live here now.  

The weekend on call surgeon was in this morning and then joined by the surgeon that performed the surgery.  Both lovely and kind.  Luk is done being polite, or talking.  So getting him to advocate for himself is over.  

We were told it's clear he won't be going home today.  They're adding aspirin in case there is actual pain the Tylenol isn't helping.  Dr's agree with me that he's likely not moving to avoid unfamiliar sensations.  It's been explained by me, Eric, several nurses and three Dr's that he has to move and poop to get out of here.  He has to poop to feel hungry. He has to eat more to poop and get energy to move.  It's a circle.  He's clearly sad today.  Upset with all of us.  

The bag is off. He's vitals are fabulous.  He's cleared for movement and is allowed to sleep through the night without vital checks.

Luk says he'll move when it stops hurting.  That might be weeks.  He has to power through some discomfort.  This one is super, super hard for me.  Pain to me is a 10 that is acute.  Luk is refusing to move at a 3.  At a three I'm out with friends, doing life, chores and exercising.  So our dynamics here are me with a very high pain tolerance, chronic daily painful disease and Luk with the lowest pain threshold I've ever seen.  It's not making for great understanding between us.  

Eric has offered to come get him. If we don't get anywhere today this might have to be a step we seriously consider.  

Our new daytime weekend nurse is great.  She's no nonsense.  My style.  No negotiations, no allowing the Diva to rule.  He tried telling/dictating to her how to administer his liquid meds and she rolled her eyes, handed him the syringe and told him he could do it himself.  Love it. He did it.  Then she told him 15 mins for meds to work then up for a walk. She also called for physical therapy to come help get him up and moving.  

I got him bathed and in a new gown.  He barely ate breakfast and doesn't want lunch.  

I found a show to watch on Prime. As We See It.  It's keeping me entertained.  So many interruptions that I stop and start each episode at least 4 times.  Very busy here doing very little in our room.  

I would love to be going home but we're ok here and it just is what it is.  

Weird reading the news and seeing kids not getting treatment and cancelations like crazy.  The beds really are full on Luk's ward. Bizarre luck that Luk got his surgery. Also that parking is a big issue in the news here and they are bringing pay parking back.  Who would have thought I'd be happyish about that ;)
Luk pooped!!  Only one hurdle left.  He needs to be ambulatory.  

I took myself out to the car for more Luk supplies and then checked out the other coffee shop.  I told the guy I wanted something cold and chocolate.  He gave me a FroCho.  Yum.  Ice, milk, chocolate syrup.  Score.  A wee bit of self care.  Eric called and we chatted while I sat in a secluded hallway.  Luk still isn't hungry and he didn't even want to try my FroCho!!